Since the first SongFinishers meeting on January 23, 2001 a lot has come and gone. Hundreds of songs have been written, several showcases presented and many friendships made. Some songs have gone on to gain recognition in Nashville. SongFinisher songs are on several independent CDs and still played out at venues.
We moved from my home to a bookstore, to the Steve Everitt Foundation House, to The Well at Pineville. We have morphed the group over the years from strictly a random choice of cowriters to a mix of appointments and random chance, to a mix of writing and discussions and critiquing.
When we started we often had between 10 and 20 participants writing new songs and presenting their progress that same note. In recent years there have been as few as one (me) person attending. On average we’d have between 3 and 5 people. Looks like it’s time to change again.
Seeing the recent success of the NSAI Open Mic at The Well, I’ve decided to host the months between the NSAI Open Mics with a SongFinishers Open Mic at The Well.
(Thank you Susan for opening The Well to us.)
So, we will start having monthly Open Mics at The Well. As always, we will react to your ideas and design the experience as we go along, but here is our starting point…
· Time is from 7 PM to approx 10 PM
· Date is the 4th Tuesday of each month (Sept 22 this month)
· No pre sign-ups like NSAI Open Mic. Just come on down, sign up and sing.
· We will be using the sound system
· This will be primarily for original songs
· We will have 10 minute time slots
· The focus is on songs and their performance – not critiquing. But you could ask for feedback within your 10 minute time slot
· If time allows we might go around for a second time
· Groups of two or more are encouraged (start a band and try it out)
· The Well Coffee Shop will be open (Thanks again Susan) so save some room for snacks, soft drinks, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and Susan’s special concoctions.
· There is no cover charge but The Well runs on donations so please be generous.
· The Well is at 220 Main Street, Pineville, North Carolina 28134 – Right next to Police Station. Less than a mile west of the I-485/Rt 51 interchange. Directions and a map are at http://www.the-well. org.
If you have any questions, please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Let’s go have some fun!