Date of Meeting: July 14, 2015, 7:00 – 9:30 pm
Location: The Well, 220 Main Street, Pineville, NC 28134
Coordinators: Fiona McAllister, Misty Simpson, Bobby Davis, Steve Simpson
Number in Attendance: 12
1) Fiona welcomed guests, and we went around the room and introduced ourselves.
2) Our open mic will be on July 21st from 7 til 9:30. We currently have 15 people signed up to perform. If you have not yet signed up but want to perform, please let us know.
3) Fiona discussed next month’s meeting, which will be a Show and Tell, where we will all have the opportunity to share with the group what we are up to musically, and anything we have learned that will help others in the group.
4) Bobby discussed NSAI’s membership drive, and thanked The Well for hosting our meetings at no charge.
5) Misty recommended that anyone interested in taking guitar lessons consider Derick Hill, one of our group who is giving Misty ukulele lessons.
Brian Hartzog spoke to us on, “How to Join the Indie Music Revolution.” Wow, what a great presentation! Brian talked about the current state of the music industry and how it has changed so completely in the past 20 years, how the independent musician faces a different set of challenges than before, and has a different set of tools at his disposal, particularly the internet. He discussed how to create and manage an email list, how to identify your target audience, how to attract fans through facebook, YouTube, and other media, and how to market to those fans, especially through the internet. He covered so much information, but had tons more to share with us. He could easily fill up a college semester with the information he has in his head on the subject of music marketing. If you missed his presentation, you can find some of the information on his website (www.brianhartzog.net) and on his podcast The Internet Musician.com (www.theinternetmusician.com).
Thank you so much, Brian, for such a wonderful, informative presentation!
We heard some great songs presented by our members, and hopefully they received some useful feedback on their songs. Thanks to everyone who shared a song.